I had a lot of coconut to use before moving house, and given the heat this summer I thought fruit rather than chocolate would be the best combination this time, hence these rather pretty looking cupcakes! Astonishingly there is no food colouring used at all, it is all natural from the raspberries.
- 175g self-raising flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 140g butter, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 free range eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 140g raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 280g icing sugar
- 85g butter, softened
- 4 tbsp raspberry coulis, or mashed raspberries
- a little desiccated or shredded coconut, to decorate
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas mark 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Beat all of the ingredients together except the raspberries in a large bowl for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Gently stir in the raspberries and then divide the batter between the paper cases, they may look fuller than usual, this is fine.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Make the icing by beating the icing sugar, butter and raspberries together for 4-5 minutes then either pipe or spread on the cupcakes with a palette knife, then sprinkle coconut on top.
(all photo credits miss suzylee)